Friday 29 October 2010

Networking on the move

I'm currently sitting in the barbican foyer reading the stage applying for 1 or 2 jobs featured and replying to emails received from recently made contacts.
On my way back from a week in Norwich I realized how reliant I am on my iPhone; on Tuesday I had a call from a friend who wanted to put me in touch with a songwriter who had heard of me in "the circle" by the end of the day I had scheduled a meeting and familiarized her with my voice through sending my demos and photos (all done through emails on my iPhone). The following day I received a text from a friend who wanted me to audition for a lead singer of an "up and coming band" and the same thing happened. Yesterday on Facebook through my iPhone I got a message from a "friend" that had been assistant director in the last play I had been in,introducing me to a director who had auditioned me in the past and wanted to get hold of me personally, we've now arranged a meeting at one of his current musicals to go from there. To top the week of late last night I received a casting from a "friend" for this morning by email on my iPhone.
So in just one week, in which I never got to a desktop, through many different contacts made since graduating I have at-least three meetings lined up for the next week, all of these might not have been in place had I not been able to access the needed web tools 2.0 so easily.
In the car home as I was reflecting on the past week I found myself thinking how this course so far had made me realise how much and often I am networking online.
At a cast reunion a couple of weeks ago I was having a chat to the casting director about phones and she mentioned how difficult the past year had been waiting for her upgrade,not having a blackberry or iPhone to access her email, at times she'd be in an auditions wondering why recipients hadn't turned up but the whole time she had emails in her inbox informing her of their Ill absence. This also sparked the thought of how important it has become for us to have regular, easy access to web tools 2.0 on both sides of the industry.
I conclude this post finally feeling like a reflective practitioner because before now I hadn't realised I actually have been "networking" over the past 6 months.
:)

2 comments:

  1. Great, reflective post: starting to look at your activity both from the closeness of being in the middle of it all and also from the distance of looking back.

    I was just without the email data of my iphone while I was in USA. But to be honest I rather enjoyed not having people email every five minutes!!! sometimes it can get out of hand! I just checked them every morning and evening. Can you take these thoughts further? What do you think about the reflective theories that are talked about in the reader and how do they fit with your experience of reflecting like this?
    Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you have said it for me too. I am now wearing the darn thing on a lanyard around my neck it is so convenient... I think it is a star trek world where we hit the insignia and get transported! But seriously - our public face can merge with private and it is also to mute the devices when concentrating. Even doing that gives me the sense of being alone... no log cabin in a wilderness is needed anymore.

    ReplyDelete