Monday 14 February 2011

Knowledge, My Knowledge?

Whilst the reader on Developing lines of professional Inquiry cleared up some of my confusions about knowledge it also resulted in a query on the different types..
Is my working situation Transdisciplinary or?
I work in many different areas of Musical Theatre, currently focusing on my singing and carrying the knowledge I've gathered in the past, through to my Solo Jazz side of my career; does that make my knowledge transdisciplinary as it is specific for that area of my profession and has been gained through personal experience to get me to where I am?
I wouldn't say much of the knowledge I need for my area of professional practice is Inter-disciplinary, as the core of my work at the moment is Performing or auditioning, rehearsing and preparing to perform. Unlike a singing teacher who would need to have the same knowledge and skills as me but also Need to know and manage the practice of education. However I feel there's a dosage of Propositional knowledge (practice based) Personal and Process Knowledge(tasks>expertise) using Information, planning and communication in all the aspects of my Professional Practice.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I understand the difference between interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary. If you know of a way to explain it to me I'd be really grateful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if the difference is huge but what I got from the reader is-
    Transdisciplinary is the knowledge that can't be categorised, for example, personal, specifc knowledge I've had to gain to be able to sing with my Jazz band but other singers wouldn't.
    Where as Inter-disciplinary knowledge would be needed in a job like Nicoles where she needs to have to knowledge and skills to teach but, also need the management knowledge that other teachers might not?
    Hmmmm reading that back, I'm not sure if that's any clearer!?
    Lets see whether we can find a clearer explanation...
    Thoughts!?

    ReplyDelete