Friday 18 February 2011

Outcomes so far.. 4b

I have set up a discussion thread on our facebook page called Singing as a use of communication which is already proving useful and is helping me to expand off on other tangents to do with my inquiry. Being involved in other discussions is also causing me to recall knowledge to share with others and learn from their interesting points. So far the SIGs are extremely handy and seem to be getting frequent updates which sparks the thought that we check our facebooks more than our blogs!?
 Whilst researching I found an interesting site which could help people who's inquiry somehow revolves round childrens education like Joanna and Natalie.
http://www.singup.org/magazine/magazine-article/view/32-singing-for-special-needs/

I found this article that talks about singing helping children with special needs or learning difficulties; "Its common to hear words sung by a child who would be unable to speak the same words" This particularly stood out to me as it's another positive way of using singing to communicate to add to my list, helping my inquiry questions.

Other points that  have arised that Im going to follow  up, from professional associates, SIG members and other BAPP  people are-

  • The contrast between plays and Musicals as they reach out  to people differently as plays don't use singing to communicate the story.
  • The difference between Musical Theatre singing and other genres also how and why people relate to the different stlyes.
  • Is it the melody, Lyrics, Production or voice that reaches out to people?
I am currently in the process of asking other profesional employees, associates and friends, so any thoughts or opinions would help me greatly to find some of my own evidence to work from.

2 comments:

  1. We will be looking at sources of information this module - just wondered if you had found any other good sources to help you think through your quesitons - but on a quick scan I thought this topic had an interesting spin- I saw a show about the musical tradition a couple of years ago about the differences in the musical traditions and how they were sung

    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/howard-goodalls-choir-works/4od

    also

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1293493.ece

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are totally right about people checking their Facebooks more.

    ReplyDelete